Art Alexion on 7 Jun 2007 11:48:27 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu Feisty WPA

On Wednesday, 06 June 2007 19:32, jeff wrote:
> Art Alexion wrote:
> > Sadly, I sure can't get it to work.
>
> is it Feisty?
> (the OS, not the card)

Yeah, its Feisty.  (so is the card, although it looks dapper and acts warty)

> > card.  After setting it up with ndiswrapper*, it was able to connect to
> > the store's network, i.e. both the link and the activity lights worked,
> > but I couldn't ping anything.  I figured it was some sort of
> > authentication error.
>
> are you trying to connect with WPA, WEP, or plain?
> I could get a different card to connect, provided I used SSID
> broadcasting and no WPA, but that wasn't acceptable.

The router requires a WEP key.

> Did you add wpa_supplicant and configure it?

wpa_supplicant is installed.  I did not try to run it as I thought it was a
library used by the networking sub-system and didn't realize it was an
application.

> > I'd like to start over, any suggestions of undoing any harm I did and
> > what I should do instead.  I still have both cards and don't care which
> > one I get working.
>
> I don't think you did any harm, other than that of failing to convince
> it to connect.

At this point, I can't even convince it to play nice with the kernel.
Plugging in the card causes kernel lockups and requires a pull out the
battery reset.  Until I do, nothing responds to the keyboard or mouse, and
all the LEDs blink simultaneously like the sign on a cheap hotel.

The 'generic' card didn't do this; it just refused to connect.  I know how to
remove the drivers from ndiswrapper to start over, but don't know how to
clean out any modules it may have created when I did 'ndiswrapper -m'.

> I'll let you know what I find when I try the older laptop again.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @