jeff on 7 Jun 2007 22:41:58 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Ubuntu Feisty WPA

Art Alexion wrote:
broadcasting and no WPA, but that wasn't acceptable.

The router requires a WEP key.

Ack....pbthlllllt...... *never* WEP. Huge holes, like IE.

Does the router support WPA?
If not, get another one..... seriously.

Did you add wpa_supplicant and configure it?

wpa_supplicant is installed. I did not try to run it as I thought it was a library used by the networking sub-system and didn't realize it was an application.

If you're going to try the way that worked for me first, you can leave it alone, so long as it's installed.

At this point, I can't even convince it to play nice with the kernel. Plugging in the card causes kernel lockups and requires a pull out the battery reset. Until I do, nothing responds to the keyboard or mouse, and all the LEDs blink simultaneously like the sign on a cheap hotel.

And this is a BAD thing?

The 'generic' card didn't do this; it just refused to connect. I know how to remove the drivers from ndiswrapper to start over, but don't know how to clean out any modules it may have created when I did 'ndiswrapper -m'.

I found that Google was my friend when I was attempting to set this up.
I'm weak on a lot of commands. Can you do a listing of what ndis has and recognize what it might've created or an lsmod to see if anything's loaded?

Meanwhile, try the other card using ndis. When it comes up, see if it'll connect w/o any security at all. Will it even find the router?
Once mine found the router, I got to select WPA and enter the key.

I noticed that if I didn't care about security, it was more than happy to connect. Not sure if this is your problem also. If your card works but won't find the router, you can try enabling SSID broadcasting in the router (which is best left off for security purposes). This should tell you something, at least.

If it can connect, then you're stuck playing around with wpa_supplicant too. Ubuntu forums have many references to it.