Brian Stempin on 20 Jun 2007 01:23:13 -0000

Re: [PLUG] re: odd networking issue

  • From: "Brian Stempin" <brian.stempin@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] re: odd networking issue
  • Date: Tue, 19 Jun 2007 21:23:10 -0400
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Adam,
     As stated earlier in this thread, Shorewall is running on the "broken" system; is this correct?

     A few other questions that'll help me figure out the problem:
          What distro are you using?  Ubuntu?  Some sort of BSD?  This makes a difference, as different kernels may use different IP routing utilities (iptables, ipfw, etc)
          Would you be kind enough to post a copy of your Shorewall config?
          Does this machine have multiple nics?  If so, how are they set up? (ie, one is connected to the internet [eth0], the other is internal [eth1])

     Often times, these types of problems are caused by something painfully simple...but finding the 1 or 2 errors is usually a tedious task :-P.  If you decide not to wipe, I'll do my best to help.

On 6/19/07, Adam J. Zion <azion1995@verizon.net> wrote:
>I would recommend flushing your iptables...

I did; no dice.

I'm half-tempted to say the heck w/it and just reimage the system w/a new distro, but part of me wants to figure this out as a learning experience- you know, as in 'please, not *another* learning experience.'

Adam Zion, MCSE+I

Have you noticed how people's intellectual curiosity declines sharply the moment they start waving guns about? * Doctor Who