Brian Stempin on 20 Jun 2007 13:06:18 -0000

Re: [PLUG] re: odd networking issue

  • From: "Brian Stempin" <brian.stempin@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] re: odd networking issue
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 09:06:13 -0400
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

>Could you be kind enough to post a copy of your Shorewall config?

Irrelevant, as shorewall is not currently running.

Adam,
     Shorewall doesn't "run" per se.  From what I've read on their website, their tool allows you to make changes to iptables, etc without having to deal with the headache of interacting with iptables, etc directly.  That is to say, there is no Shorewall daemon running in the background.  When the system starts up, Shorewall reads a config file, makes the changes to your system's underlying routing mechanisms, and then exits.  Posting a Shorewall config file will help me understand what changes were made to the underlying mechanisms that would cause your particular problem.

Brian

On 6/20/07, Adam J. Zion <azion1995@verizon.net> wrote:
>As stated earlier in this thread, Shorewall
>is running on the "broken" system; is this  correct?

No; until I troubleshoot it entirely, shorewall is not running- I'm relying on the router's hardware firewall until then.

>What distro are you using?

Mandriva 2007 Spring.

>Could you be kind enough to post a copy of your Shorewall config?

Irrelevant, as shorewall is not currently running.

>Does this machine have multiple nics?

No.

>Often times, these types of problems are
>caused by something painfully simple... but
>finding the 1 or 2 errors is usually a
>tedious task :-P.

Indeed. I'm going to give it until the end of the week before I throw up my hands + wipe.

Adam Zion, MCSE+I

Have you noticed how people's intellectual curiosity declines sharply the moment they start waving guns about? * Doctor Who