Marc Zucchelli on 20 Jun 2007 14:57:28 -0000

[PLUG] AOL is putting email from my server in their spam folders

As I said in the subject, any mail that goes from my server to an AOL email address ends up in the spam folder.  I don't have any spam going out, but I think I know what is causing the problem.  I host my own clients, and none of them would know how to set up a spam campaign.  I have the email for a few of my clients just simply forwarding to their AOL address because they don't know how to set up an email client for themselves.  And their email address on my server recieves a LOT of spam, which just gets forwarded to their AOL address.  So I think that AOL must think that my server is a spam server.  When I look in my logs, I see spam messages to these few clients being forwarded about every two minutes.

I think the same thing is happening with gmail as well.  Anything sent from my server to gmail ends up in the spam folder.  I have one client who recieves a TON of spam using the gmail trick....forwarding his mail to gmail to use their filter.

I looked up my server, and it is not listed in any of the spam databases.  At one point I was able to twist some things around, and get qmail to send from one of the server's different IP address's, and that worked...for a short while.

This also hurts my clients sites in other areas.  For example, some of them have ecommerce sites, and when a customer places an order on their site, they may get a an email receipt, or a confirmation message that they need to respond to, which just get's spammed.

Does anybody have any ideas?  How can I provide a quality email service to my clients?

Marc