Michael Lazin on 10 Jul 2007 14:44:30 -0000

Re: [PLUG] [slightly OT] (Mac OS X) Is it me or can't you do this with Linux?

  • From: "Michael Lazin" <microlaser@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] [slightly OT] (Mac OS X) Is it me or can't you do this with Linux?
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jul 2007 09:44:22 -0500
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Pearpc is a powerpc emulator that you could use to try out os x as a virtual machine.  http://pearpc.sourceforge.net/

Michael

On 7/10/07, Steve Morgan <stevem.firefly@gmail.com> wrote:
Generally, Mac OSX discs will not boot unless they are in a Mac.  Now
it is true they have converted to Intel chips now, but their boards
are EFI and not BIOS like all other general x86 of-the-shelf hardware.
But I am willing to bet, especially since you said they originally
came with an iBook, is that those discs are for the PowerPC Macs
(pre-Intel chips).  The PowerPC software is binary incompatible with
Intel hardware.  The iBook became known as the MacBook when they
switched to Intel chips

You can also try out Linux in a virtual machine, but I too would
suggest trying a live CD version of Ubuntu or Kubuntu.  Your boot up
will be full machine speed and the live CDs wont even need to touch
the harddrives, leaving all the data there intact.  Kubuntu with a
theme switch to a more Windows-like look will give you the least
impact for your users.

Best of Luck in preventing Vi$ta installs.

Regards,

Steve Morgan

.