Art Alexion on 26 Jul 2007 15:20:18 -0000

[PLUG] Edubuntu logging out everytime an app is closed

Our company has a policy of allowing people to bring in their kids when
there is a daycare problem.

I set up a small computer lab for them to keep them out of other
workers' hair using edubuntu.  I created it from things like
underpowered desktops and laptops with broken screens, keyboards, etc.
Seems to work fine, even on 566 celerons.  Except... (there is always an
"except", isn't there?)

One machine keeps logging out every time an app is closed down.  The log
out screen is not presented, just a log out.  I've never been there when
it happens, but after disabling the logout button, and it continuing, I
am guessing that, either X is crashing on program exit or somehow the
exit call is being interpreted as <Ctrl+Alt+backspace>.

Any ideas?

More details.

Edubuntu is Gnome.  These are standalone (no network) systems.  I have
disabled the main menu and only provided access to the education, games
and graphics submenus.  The lockdown editor, pessulus, doesn't require
root or sudo access in Desktop mode, so the main security is obscurity.

Last observation, these 8-10 year olds seem much more savvy than their
relatively young parents.

--

Art Alexion
MIS