JP Vossen on 27 Jul 2007 22:34:34 -0000

Re: [PLUG] adding files to iso image

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 15:10:23 -0400
From: Matthew Rosewarne <mukidohime@case.edu>

On Tuesday 24 July 2007, Sonny To wrote:
Is there a way to mount an iso read/write?

No. But you can edit an ISO image file. I haven't ever used it, but you can try "ISO Master". (Debian package "isomaster")

http://littlesvr.ca/isomaster/

AFAIK, and as suggested by others, the only way to modify files on an ISO is to mount it, copy it, change it, and re-master it. It sounds like isomaster automates this with a GUI, which sounds pretty cool.

The following is NOT really a solution to the question as asked, but is something I just find terribly fascinating. A guy named Dave Dittrich came up with the idea (circa 2002) to leave a "hole" in the ISO image file, then to copy the ISO file and patch it as needed. This is brilliant (IMO), yet obvious in hind-sight.

PDF of the scanned hardcopy of the IEEE article is here: http://www.honeynet.org/tools/cdrom/eeyore/custom/docs/customization.pdf

If you are clever enough when you set up the master ISO this allows you to do just about anything, such as:
* Create custom ISO images containing a serial number
* Customize startup options (via patched conf and/or init files)
* Allow all kinds of other customizations of otherwise static LiveCDs (I have suggested that this be incorporated into Ubuntu LiveCDs (https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+bug/40062), but haven't yet had time to more formally expand on the idea as requested.)
* Whatever else you can think of.

I hope you all find this idea as interesting as I do, even though I'm punting on the original question. :-)

Later,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.