Mike Leone on 2 Aug 2007 00:38:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Upgrading Debian testing from kernel 2.4 to 2.6

Stephen Gran wrote:

You really only have two ways out of this: you'll have to fool apt for
a bit into thinking that all conflicts are straightened out, or you
need to get the new libc6 installed by using a kernel outside of the
packaging system.

Uh huh. By downloading the latest kernel-headers and kernel-source and compiling my self?
Drop in a hand build kernel, reboot into it, and then retry the upgade.
I did try to install linux-image-2.6.21, but it is complaining about an
initrd-image, which I haven't downloaded. If I try and download one, and
then do a "dpkg -i" on both linux-image and initrd-image, and reboot ...
will it boot? I wouldn't have libc6-2.6 installed (yet), since I would do
that after booting linux-image-2.6.21. Isn't that a Catch-22?

There is no initrd package - initrd (or INITial Ram Disks) are
constructed on the fly at install time in Debian kernels. If it can't
make an initrd, then you won't reboot with a Debian kernel.

Oh, goodie.:-)

I really think you may have to build a static monolithic kernel by hand - the
initrd tools, now that I think about it, are going to have a tough time
just figuring out what modules to include when you're running a 2.4
kernel.  Just copy /boot/config-something-recent to .config in the
kernel sources, run make oldconfig, and then make config to trim it down
and get rid of ram disk expectations.

It's been so durn long since I made a kernel by hand (that's what packaging systems are for ... at least for home users ...), that I'm drawing a blank on the steps. I remember the make oldconfig ... now I'll have to go dig up the rest of the manual kernel compile and install steps, with grub ... the fun! :-)

Hopefully, when I reboot, and choose the new 2.6 kernel, it'll boot. If not, hopefully it will boot it the (running) 2.4.27. Will it, do you think?