JP Vossen on 2 Aug 2007 18:34:55 -0000

[PLUG] OT: Comcast Biz?

I host my own mail/web/DNS/etc. Debian server at my house on a Covad/Speakeasy iDSL (0.144/0.144) line. The link is rock solid, but expensive for being so slow. I also have regular Comcast and 15/2 residential FiOS. I work from home and require access, so dual links are needed, but three is getting silly.

I could upgrade to Biz FiOS, which I've heard good things about (relatively speaking since both Verizon and Comcast kinda suck), but my 15/2 is working well and I'm hesitant to mess with it.

* Is anyone hosting stuff on Comcast Biz?
* How long have you had it?
* Any outages?
* What speed/service do you have? How much (~ $100)? (I'm in Collegeville, PA)
* How many static IPAs? Did you have to pay extra for them?
* Any issues with getting them to do reverse DNS? (e.g. IPA points to smtp.jpsdomain.org, without which some anti-spam will trigger)
* Any issues with blocked ports or other stupid stuff?
* Would you recommend it?

Since Comcast usually can't do DNS to save their lives I'll use OpenDNS or something for my outgoing DNS requests, but they obviously must handle reverse lookups on my mail server.

Thanks,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.