James Barrett on 2 Aug 2007 21:42:28 -0000

[PLUG] is there an audience for linux matrix?

For those who do not know, a matrix is a dynamic comparison chart. All the facts are presented and people made decisions instead of having others make them for them.

Visit http://www.wikimatrix.org/compare/MediaWiki+MoinMoin for an example.

I want to create linuxmatrix, but I question whether anyone would think such a thing would be at all useful, or even necessary. I would take the idea of wikimatrix, adapt it ti linux distributions and improve upon it.

The points which should be compared seem fairly obvious to me.  A few
would be the availability of a gui installation, which kernel version is
installed by default (if there are multiple options, which ones are
available), what package systems are used, the number of packages
available, and so on.

Visitors to the site would find a list (or even a cloud) of linux distros with check boxes next to them. They would select which distributions to evaluate, click the compare button and be sent to a page with all pertinent information listed side-by-side for them.

I spoke to a few people, and they liked the idea, so I registered
linuxmatrix.org. Does this project interest any of you who might be reading this? I am still learning PHP, and know enough to be able to piece parts of code together from other projects, however my skill set is stronger with CSS and making things look elegant and unique. I have the hosting taken care of for now.

My question is, would anyone reading this like to assist in the development of linuxmatrix.org (even by simply giving suggestions)?

-James