Jason on 9 Aug 2007 12:17:52 -0000

Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast Biz?

  • From: Jason <jcostom@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] OT: Comcast Biz?
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 08:17:43 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=eWweApvOSmXBqf15a27jyMxx3KVEuYGrK27zH5w9OCaCmoI6wQ3fMRw45tFn7kcTIpcHjBJ48OTKDsX2ULMWLQ4q15dikHPlmRFo75dKTg7tIB9ff0n6XiO0x0DdG1SPZP5O1L/af/Gkawui9RipyUYPh4CSIj6rJm5nl4LoYZY=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 8/2/07, JP Vossen <jp@jpsdomain.org> wrote:
> I host my own mail/web/DNS/etc. Debian server at my house on a
> Covad/Speakeasy iDSL (0.144/0.144) line.  The link is rock solid, but
> expensive for being so slow.  I also have regular Comcast and 15/2
> residential FiOS.  I work from home and require access, so dual links
> are needed, but three is getting silly.

Stay clear of the Comcast Business service if you can.  You get worse
service for more $$.

A friend has a small business in Moorestown, NJ, where VZ has the
place set for FiOS, but in his part of Moorestown, there's no CO side
support for it yet.  Everyone on that side of town is on hold for
FiOS.  So, he's stuck with Comcast Business for cheaper access, or of
course, slower DSL solutions.  He's had to endure crappy service,
being forced to use the crappy cable modem+nat router thing that
Comcast forces Business users to use (at least in that area..), and
has a flaky connection that works probably 85% of the time.  He had to
call the NJ Board of Public Utils to get anything done, and it still
somewhat sucks.

They also have no clue how to setup reverse DNS.

> I could upgrade to Biz FiOS, which I've heard good things about
> (relatively speaking since both Verizon and Comcast kinda suck), but my
> 15/2 is working well and I'm hesitant to mess with it.

A guy I used to work with dumped his 6 Mbps DSL (Speakeasy) to go
Business FiOS.  He loves it.  He's paying around $100/mo, and I
believe it's the 50/5 Mbps plan, though I could be screwy on the
speeds.

I've got home FiOS (20/5) and haven't experienced a single outage
(that wasn't my own fault) in the 13 months that we've had the
service.

Disclaimer: I work for a division of Verizon.  That said, I loved our
FiOS service from day 1.  I've only been at VZ since April of this
year, so I did have plenty of time not working for them first.  Of
course, nothing I've said represents an official VZ position on
anything - as JP says, "My Account, My Opinions".