Jason on 9 Aug 2007 12:08:49 -0000

Re: [PLUG] NAS appliances

  • From: Jason <jcostom@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] NAS appliances
  • Date: Thu, 9 Aug 2007 08:08:44 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; b=H2DuByiQOBG3TDX9VfY5x/izHUE8hgxanx7bFUHRjPhOrDM/ULAxw+GSk5W1dhGI7XlupM0gy029sGLDCjQ/wJxVsWbF1oOxT+91n+fMZ0udd9P+OFsR/cqMyHBkBF8Jxy70C53NLhvNABFJatz5KlI9vbLdwgSc+H8BKBWrRNA=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 8/8/07, Chad Waters <chad@chadwaters.com> wrote:
> Does anybody have any experience or recommendations regarding linux
> based NAS appliances?
>
> Something like this for example?:
> http://www.pogolinux.com/news/article_nas_servers.php
>
> And no, the solution cannot be me slapping 1)NFS and  samba or 2)
> freeNAS http://www.freenas.org/ onto a big disk array. I've asked.

Hey, if you get a sufficiently utilitarian looking case, a FreeNAS can
give the appearance of an appliance to the suits. :)

That said, a friend of mine has an Infrant ReadyNAS deployed at his
house.  He raves about it.  I'm still not quite sure he achieved WAF
(Wife Acceptance Factor) on that one just yet.  It's spendy, but
certainly high quality.  The NV+ has 4 drive slots and can do the
usual complement of RAID types, plus their own X-RAID, which I don't
really know that much about (but again, my friend says he likes it).
He mentioned the primary draw for X-RAID is the ability to add space
to an existing volume.

Network fs support looks pretty good too: CIFS, NFS v2/3, AFP, rsync,
http/s (webdav I presume).  Also seems to support UPnP media streaming
- something I didn't expect from a product like this.

http://www.infrant.com/products/products_details.php?name=ReadyNAS%20NVPlus