Art Alexion on 3 Aug 2007 23:04:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] invisible Thunderbirds?

On Sunday, 22 July 2007 22:48, jeff wrote:

> As of a few days ago, Thunderbird won't display a message when I hit
> enter.  It doesn't seem to want to reply/forward/create or much of
> anything else either.  It *is* coming up and collecting mail, but I
> can't read it.
>
> When I exit, the program leaves the screen but it's still running (per
> ps aux).  It does the same thing after I kill the processes and restart.
>
> I am unaware of adding or deleting anything that might affect this.
> Machine is a Dell Latitude 820, Ubuntu 7.04, XFCE

If you haven't fixed it yet, exit thunderbird and run the attached script.  I
haven't used thunderbird for a while (except for sending html mail when I
have to), so I don't know if it still works, but it should unless thunderbird
has undergone a radical revision to its index restructuring.  Of course, you
will have to rename the hard coded directories.  It simply deletes the
indexes, which have the extension, msf.  Thunderbird will regenerate them
when it restarts.  Nothing fancy, but I used to have to do it a lot, and the
script saved me the time in typing the commands.

> on a related note, I tend to read email from too many machines (via
> POP).  Right now I set one machine as master and the rest to leave
> copies on the server.  Is there an easier way to do this that would let
> me delete mail I don't want from any computer?

IMAP.  See if your mail provider supports IMAP.  With IMAP, all computers will
access the same online mail folders, and any computer can manipulate them.

If op.net does not support IMAP, you can forward the mail to a free service
that does.  Then just make sure you use your op.net address as a reply-to.
You could also continue to use the op.net SMTP server.

You would know better than me if the office mail system supports IMAP.

> Someone suggested IMAP but my provider doesn't offer it and I would
> prefer not to set up a home server for this.

Try forwarding to a free provider that does provide it.  I do this with
alexion.com.  This address is 13 years old and used to be listed on web
pages.  It gets a lot of spam.  I forward it to a free mail service that has
decent server based spam filtering.  This takes the load off of the local
spamassassin and bogofilter.  My mail client is set to use smtp.alexion.com
for outgoing mail and the reply-to is set to the alexion.com address.  You
could try doing the same with IMAP.  Off the top of my head, I don't know
which free mail service provides IMAP.  Perhaps someone else can suggest one.

Art Alexion

Keyserver: hkp://subkeys.pgp.net
alarm.  Info @
echo deleting indexes from alexion.com folders...
rm /home/arthur/.thunderbird/w0p0zil7.default/Mail/pop.alexion.com/*.msf
echo deleting indexes from verizon.net folders...
rm /home/arthur/.thunderbird/w0p0zil7.default/Mail/incoming.verizon.net/*.msf
echo deleting indexes from gmail.com folders...
rm /home/arthur/.thunderbird/w0p0zil7.default/Mail/pop.gmail.com/*.msf