Aaron Mulder on 23 Aug 2007 13:34:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Why isn't vmware free anymore?

  • From: "Aaron Mulder" <ammulder@alumni.princeton.edu>
  • To: skitch@skitchfamily.net, "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Why isn't vmware free anymore?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 09:34:27 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: a=rsa-sha1; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references:x-google-sender-auth; b=bGVYh9+Xt/pqSCSZk6AKEqwkvXpIuWhS6tsGEJvXA2Rq1M/wVYhiyw3vp8Kme6sIbU8lpjQ2nESdUI59RM3GHxezl/6UfR46GwiqlM4dlNKPf2Cp/of1xOtDqR7jA8p0+nM49+WtMwBmJjKGslNchC1hal7l2synWwVA5yeN0ko=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

Generally I'd say Server is for running multiple VMs at the same time
where you may not be interacting with them directly on the desktop,
whereas Player is for running one VM in the foreground on your
desktop.  Workstation is an enhanced Player (e.g. you can't create new
VMs with Player, but you can with Workstation).  You may be able to
get away with using Server if you're looking for a free option but
more featureful than Player, otherwise you'd have to pay for
Workstation.

Thanks,
       Aaron