Brent Saner on 10 Sep 2007 17:10:50 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Today's Kubuntu Gutsy updates broke my display

  • From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Today's Kubuntu Gutsy updates broke my display
  • Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 13:10:35 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=Lyy2OLkzLLK7cXRHykWsDvxN8fOIP8Bz8Oo5eRiv/4g=; b=nyUymotQdwoqw7YkkTVk3KC++e6cmYWPM6AuyhXDQL26L9K3wc1iJVPHq92+sblhhX4L2fRb7JaoUIzFzIcjIwMCMFdZJ7zvfacX/Az/hMJj6o9+E08hPs7NkZOlrYjWrND4t19Sn7HwJDtLgVlEG+jPFX393hrLgIFGbQxBV3w=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

that sounds like a sync prob. either your monitor is going or (more likely) the update borked your xorg.conf.

you can try running dpkg-reconfigure xorg-server (i think that's the package) or xorgconfig etc. etc....there's multiple ways to reconfig your xorg.conf

i always advise people to do this when checking hardware. throw in a knoppix disc- if the black band is still there, it's a hardware problem. check your connections and if they're all tight, i'd say it's your display and you'd be better off getting a new monitor