JP Vossen on 10 Sep 2007 17:27:37 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Backup packages

Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2007 21:48:50 -0400
From: Paul L. Snyder <plsnyder@drexel.edu>
Subject: [PLUG] Backup packages

I'm finally getting around to setting up a backup system for all the
various machines around my house.  Any recommendations as to a good
package to use?

<snip>

Third vote for http://backuppc.sourceforge.net/.

I've found it to be great for Linux, though I've had issues with Windows, which may well be user error. I haven't spent much time on the Windows side; I have a very specific idea of what I want to do and haven't been able to do it. I'm ultimately going to solve that by running all instances of Windows under VMware Server on Linux (using Ubuntu for that now), then just back up the entire VM on the Linux side. I'll probably try to figure out how to script a VM snapshot first, and/or use LVM snapshots.

The Linux side Just Works, though I find the configs a bit tedious. Debian (Sarge, Etch) packages is a bit old at 2.x (but are what I'm using), the latest is the 3.x series which makes editing config files a bit easier IIRC. The client configs are supposed go in the backuppc dir, but I put them under /etc/backuppc and symlinked them into /opt/backuppc.

As someone else noted, even partial backups look like full ones, which makes restores very handy. The pooling and compression are nice too.

Later,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.