Stephen Gran on 11 Sep 2007 09:43:31 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Today's Kubuntu Gutsy updates broke my display

On Mon, Sep 10, 2007 at 05:45:01PM -0400, Art Alexion said:
> On Monday 10 September 2007 14:19:40 Will Dyson wrote:
> > Which driver are you using? Gutsy includes two different drivers for
> > intel video hardware, in the packages xserver-xorg-video-intel and
> > xserver-xorg-video-i810. The "i810" driver is the old and reliable
> > (but feature-limited) driver. The "intel" driver is newer and more
> > featureful (but you know what that means in terms of bugs).
>
> Both packages are installed, but I only see one i810 driver in kcontrol.  When
> I select the i810 driver, it appears on the Intel branch of manufacturers in
> the tree.
>
> I think this may be the problem because everything worked before today.  In
> order to get work done, I updated another box that had feisty on it to gutsy
> (I need the version of evolution that comes with gutsy) and now that box has
> the same problem with the same monitor.

Try backing up your xorg.conf to somewhere safe, and then slowly
removing a lot of the customization to your running one.  The intel
driver now has modesetting and automagic xrandr autoconfig stuff in it,
and I've seen it deal rather badly with customizations I'd put in to
deal with shortcomings of the driver in previous versions.
|  Stephen Gran                  | Let's organize this thing and take all  |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | the fun out of it.                      |