Art Alexion on 11 Sep 2007 16:21:08 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Today's Kubuntu Gutsy updates broke my display

On Monday 10 September 2007 17:56:55 Art Alexion wrote:
> On Monday 10 September 2007 14:19:40 Will Dyson wrote:
> > Which driver are you using? Gutsy includes two different drivers for
> > intel video hardware, in the packages xserver-xorg-video-intel and
> > xserver-xorg-video-i810. The "i810" driver is the old and reliable
> > (but feature-limited) driver. The "intel" driver is newer and more
> > featureful (but you know what that means in terms of bugs).
>
> I was just poking around my xorg.conf files on the just today upgraded
> other xubuntu machine and it looks like the upgrade did not play with this
> file. The file date is in August, when I first started using this flat
> panel display.  This was the same on the kubuntu machine except I kept
> playing with it to get it to work so the file date is not indicative of the
> upgrade.

Looks like the problem was not with xorg.conf, but with xserver-xorg-core.
Downgrading to the previous version provided a temporary fix.

See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg/+bug/137604

This is a temporary workaround, but now aptitude wants to upgrade it.  I am a
bit confused as to how to run the daily updates while excluding this one.  I
know that there is a command (I don't remember it now) that tells apt to
leave it alone, but that seems it would prevent upgrading to the eventual
fix.

Any suggestions other than saying no to aptitude upgrade and the doing
individual installs of every other upgraded package?