Erek Dyskant on 20 Sep 2007 20:21:03 -0000

Re: [PLUG] SPF Question

Receiving mail hosts should check the SPF against the IP address of the
machine which connects to their server, rather than the mail headers, as
by relaying the message, the edgemost SMTP server is vouching that the
message is authentic.  Thus, rewriting the headers shouldn't acomplish
anything.

I'd guess that the webmail server is the same machine as the MX machine,
and sends messages directly via a local MTA, however your mail host's
published SMTP server is a different box.  So in effect, when you send via
wbmail your mail is originating using the MX machine, but when you send
via their SMTP server your mail is originating from some other IP address.

Check on the address of your mail host's SMTP server and make sure that
that server is in your SPF record.  Also, send a test message through the
SMTP server to a mailbox that doesn't verify SPFs and make sure that your
mail host doesn't have some internal relaying scheme.  If they do, make
sure you find out your mail host's edge outgoing mail servers and add
those to your SPF record.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to ask for clarification, as I'm writing this
on very little sleep and may or may not be clear.

Cheers,
Erek Dyskant