gabriel rosenkoetter on 27 Sep 2007 20:54:11 -0000

Re: [PLUG] linux question... (apache) (virtual hosts)

At 2007-09-27 16:14 -0400, Sean C. Sheridan <scs@CampusClients.com> wrote:
> Well, one reason is I have 140 addresses :)

Of public address space?

Could you pretty-please give those back?

We wouldn't be "running out" of IPv4 space if people weren't
hoarding it.

The whole point of *having* a flexible and distributed name to
address mapping system is that one can move services that users
reach by name without having to move IP addresses around, which
impacts routing, never mind being able to host multiple logical
services with different names without taking up a huge chunk of
numberspace. The name space is infinite, the numberspace is finite,
and should be conserved when possible.

> Another is this gives me flexibility.  If I need to move some domains to
> another machine to do something I can do so, without having to change the
> dns and wait for propagation.

Sounds like you aren't making appropriate use of $TTL. (Never mind:
you're moving from devel to prod in the *same* environment, as
opposed finishing development, making a release for testing, then
another release for production? That's... not exactly good practice.
What happens when you want to do further development later?)

But okay.

> I appreciate your point... but I still need to try to accomplish what I
> set out to do :)

Then you need to investigate at least the Listen and possibly also
the ServerName configuration variables. VirtualHost does exactly the
opposite of what you're trying to do: you want separate full server
sections in httpd.conf, in which you will have Listen <ip
addr>:<port> and ServerName <whatever> directives and for the IP
address and server of that particular instance.

Note that this will cause Apache to create far more instances
(you're not using it the way the application was intended to be
used), so you may need to look into decreasing the number of
listening processes per Server block (a full 140 x 20 worker threads
is Quite A Lot of Processes) and bumping up some SysV IPC kernel
parameters (never mind making sure you have a good chunk of memory;
I'd say at least 4 GB at a bare minimum). That's the real design
flaw (rather than just being a bad network neighbor) I see in your
plan.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net