zuzu on 2 Oct 2007 20:58:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Filtering SPAM through gmail...does it give your IP address a bad name?

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Filtering SPAM through gmail...does it give your IP address a bad name?
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 16:57:20 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=c62p6NPIBm9ac1/xpm/2Nw7oumE4XqTrSTyuyW1Ol2Q=; b=pBy3HidyoDwjVDvo+ufJhBZazNt0MWE17fo2rv+cwSleuwBSqdi9Qx0EpHTDllJXp282ESAJ7tFKw4sqcHP2wffb08Ru3YDJx6n85OgANaZ/ydeU5uZID/fGa5IKKo//CCSLyRShsfu6qITuaztCLEOj6VyO5fWD3stFDodzrN4=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 10/2/07, Claude M. Schrader <plug@claudeschrader.com> wrote:
> On 06:45 Tue 02 Oct     , Marc Zucchelli wrote:
> >    I host my customers websites and email.  I have several who just want
> >    their mail to forward to their AOL or Yahoo account.  I have more that
>
> Marc,
> This will be an issue you need to deal with. We regularily need to deal
> with blacklist problems caused by customers forwarding mail to providers
> with less than stellar filters. Setting up AOLs feedback loop can help,
> since they will send you reports of spam instead of simply blacklisting you.
> Claude

as I touched on in the "open wireless" thread, this is precisely the
tyranny created by MAPS / RBL to the so-called "spam problem".  (and
it's an example of internet tiering, if you ask me.)  violating the
end-to-end principle manifests a cure that's worse than the disease.
(nevermind compounded problems from inviting government regulation
with the CAN-SPAM and other such legislation.)

however, belief in using spam blacklisting is a _cultural_ rather than
a technical problem.  (as is the problem of belief in applying
national legislation to an international landscape.)