zuzu on 2 Oct 2007 22:02:31 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Verizon FIOS & open wireless

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Verizon FIOS & open wireless
  • Date: Tue, 2 Oct 2007 18:02:23 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=C1dV6eOCQ2XzrzsXJuza9AXZyrNp1uA7uHxzb1OAdVk=; b=t43+ecEIGW8iqiWyLEH2V99nXuZIr1n8OEAffUOefGsDCw86cQtBU8TE0cUre5LrnZnnZ1upHWOjCm0c/m/hi/1td/6dFrJH60Jzh8CbihAEcstDNklsKaWjW1dFzzXZVmgGmAMfY6P6KGeBdUaHhrRtTMWClfOugG1K/vPwaUs=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 10/2/07, Brent Saner <brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:
> BRILLIANT!
>
> you have slain the Beast of Insecure Open AP. you get B00ts of 1337n3ss, 14
> gold, 3 silver, and 15 pounds of tasty meat.

I love the _idea_ of VPNs but have found them to be a bear to
implement in practice.  I'd like to be able to roll out IPsec, but the
closest I've come is using OpenVPN, and 90% of the time I'm lazy and
rely on SSH tunnels (which I think is how OpenVPN works anyway).
anyone out there have mad IPsec (or general VPN) skills who can share
some "best practices" from experience?

p.s. DD-WRT can do everything else described.  it'll even host an
OpenVPN server with the "-vpn" branch of the distribution, although
that's a bit too many eggs in one basket for my taste.  I'd prefer a
beefier dedicated/separate device for that.