Eric on 3 Oct 2007 01:03:35 -0000

Re: [PLUG] What is your favorite HTML editor?

Dan:

What do you mean when you say "HTML editor"?

If bare bones is your thing then take your pick of the pack:  VIM or jEdit are
my main choices although there is plenty of others that have syntax highlighting
and other useful features: Gedit, emacs, etc.

For the WYSIWYG type of editors I've used Nvu (now KompoZer) and Quanta.  I
liked KompoZer better than Quanta which seemed a bit "odd" to me.  Nevertheless,
I almost always end up in the "bare bones" category after a short time because I
cannot get it to do something or other that I need.

A word to the wise (3 words actually) if you have not been doing HTML coding for
a (long) while: "Cascading Style Sheets" (CSS).  Extremely powerful, useful,
etc.  There are plenty of example, reference, and tutorial sites out there for
CSS.  A well crafted style sheet is worth it's weight in gold.  After while
you'll forget you ever knew the <FONT...> tag :-)

Best of luck!

Eric

Dan Roberts wrote:
> Hello All
> I have been asked to whip up some HTML pages for our server..
> It has been years since I have written any worthwhile HTML.. (Late
> 90's!!)..gives you an idea how outdated I am!
> SO..What is your favorite HTML editor to use on a Linux system that
> isn't to complex to learn!
> Thanks
> Dan

#  Eric Lucas