gabriel rosenkoetter on 3 Oct 2007 04:13:16 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Single Port KVM - IP based

At 2007-10-02 23:59 -0400, Brent Saner <brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:
> i recall the same thing- again, though, can't recall the name.
>
> the problem is that portability is a big factor, it seems- he already said
> he didn't want to deal with a PCI card.

Aha! Mea culpu for skimming!

So the answer is whatever bargain basement PC you like with a PCI
card connected to an external box with N serial connections to the
real servers, and a dedicated POTS line to call into it.

When all else fails, fall back on SLIP twisted pair. Which, you
know, sounds like we're skipping a few steps for the portion of the
audience who started doing this thing in the '80s, but it's just
about the limit that one actually needs to regress these days.

I'm close to using that approach (with serial 2400 baud touch tone
interpretation, so it works from my mobile phone) to cycle power
on my Verizon DSL modem right now, given that their definition of
"uptime" is "less than 24 contiguous hours"...

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net