Matthew Rosewarne on 4 Oct 2007 06:27:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Survey: who drives a stick shift?

While I love a stick, I rarely get the chance to drive one, and I'm lousy at
it.  One thing I am VERY partial to, however, are the "Tiptronic" (automatic,
with a sort of "override") transmissions.  When you're in start-stop traffic,
you don't have to wear out your leg on the clutch, but you can shift up an
down when you choose.  They don't make the driver nearly as intimately
connected to the engine as would a manual transmission, but it's often a good
trade off.

My first powered vehicle was a go-cart, so no real transmission to speak of.
The throttle was essentially a spring-loaded cable connected to the fuel
intake on the engine.  Being in such close contact with the engine, you get a
feel for how it actually works and how you can drive in order to get the best
effect.  I'm of the opinion that _everyone_ should learn how to drive a
manual transmission BEFORE an automatic, thus gaining an appreciation of what
their car is actually doing.  Also, there should never be talk of anything
called an "accelerator"; it's called a throttle, since that's what it does.
Of course, this would only make sense if people actually cared about driving
properly, which is quite obviously not a priority to just about everyone.

%!PS: I'm also fascinated by CVTs, particularly the toroidal CVT of the Nissan
Murano, though I've not actually driven one.  Anyone driven one?