Eric on 4 Oct 2007 14:52:23 -0000

Re: [PLUG] stick shift?

This _should_ be the bumper sticker on my car:   My OTHER car has a stick shift

Seriously, I've been a "stick" person my entire life but since about 2000 I've
mostly transitioned over to autos - not deliberately but because it mattered
less to me than other factors.

I DO have a Mazda Miata (circa 1992) which is a 5-speed stick of course but I
find that 99.9% of the time I'm far more comfortable in my 2002 Camry with the
auto transmission, power windows and seats, and properly working stereo.  Oh,
and the Camry has a VVti 4 cylinder engine... it gets BETTER mileage than the
Miata !!

My last trip to Chicago this spring we took the Camry and pretty much "had our
foot in it" the whole way.  We averaged better than 34 mpg.  At $3+ per gallon
of fuel that was *sweet*.  If I coast a lot in the Miata I can get up to 31 or
so MPG.  Besides, I'd NEVER drive from Swarthmore to Chicago in the Miata... it
would require surgery to get me un-bent from the driving position :-)

I had a 1985 Crown Vic in the late 90's which we called "Big Red".  What a
"tank" it was - We loved it!  When I bought it only had 30K miles on it because
it was literally owned by a proverbial "Little Old Lady".  It has the same basic
structure as the Town Car.  You could transport a family of four and all their
luggage from here to the far side of Missouri and back in comfort.  It was big
enough that it could have supported it's own wireless network... yes, Gabe, it
would have been open :-)

Eric

jeff wrote:
> JP Vossen wrote:
>> I drive a stick.
>
> I drive a Carpice (think cop car).
> In it is an automatic xmission, because real men are secure enough to
> have their gears shifted for them.
>
> Real cars are the size of small countries and don't come with manual
> xmissions  My wife has an old Town Car.  The last Lincoln with a stick
> must have been produced long before I was born.
>
> My only defense is that they both still get better mileage than SUVs and
> you can see past them.  And they're not driven by space cadets with cell
> phones glued to one ear and a cigarette in the other hand.
>

>> Why Software Sucks: Geeks Drive Stick Shift Cars
>
> Not *this* one.
>
> -=-=-
> ... Jeff for President - a chipotle in every pot
> * TagZilla 0.066 * http://tagzilla.mozdev.org

#  Eric Lucas
#