Edward Smola on 4 Oct 2007 18:57:40 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Survey: who drives a stick shift?

On Oct 4, 2007, at 2:53 PM, Edward Smola wrote:

On Oct 4, 2007, at 2:14 PM, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:

%!PS; I find it somewhat pathetic that in the US, 30 MPG is
considered "excellent" mileage. I was driving around the UK almost a year
ago in a Ford diesel minivan (not a small car!) that got in excess of 40 MPG.
There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be able to do this in the US.

US car milage does suck but you need to compare the same unit. 1 US gallon is only 0.83 british imperial gallon.

30 mpg us / .83 ~= 36 mpg british.

Well... then you need to look at what the testing agencies use to compute MPG.
So You really can't fairly compare even after unit conversion. My guess is they suck equally.

Edward Smola