Stephen Gran on 4 Oct 2007 20:13:48 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Survey: who drives a stick shift?

On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 02:53:31PM -0400, Edward Smola said:

> On Oct 4, 2007, at 2:14 PM, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> >
> >%!PS; I find it somewhat pathetic that in the US, 30 MPG is
> >considered "excellent" mileage.  I was driving around the UK almost
> >a year
> >ago in a Ford diesel minivan (not a small car!) that got in excess
> >of 40 MPG.
> >There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be able to do this
> >in the US.
>
> US car milage does suck but you need to compare the same unit.
> 1 US gallon is only 0.83 british imperial gallon.
>
> 30 mpg us / .83 ~= 36 mpg british.

Except that they sell 'petrol' in 'litres' over here, so you're doing
the conversion yourself, and you get to pick which gallon to convert to.
That being said, I do agree that I have gotten quite a lot better
mileage in all the rental cars here than I was used to in the States -
40mpg is not unusual.
|  Stephen Gran                  | REST: P:      Linus Torvalds S:         |
|  steve@lobefin.net             | Buried alive in email   -- from         |
|  http://www.lobefin.net/~steve | /usr/src/linux/MAINTAINERS              |