Art Alexion on 4 Oct 2007 21:12:38 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Survey: who drives a stick shift?

On Thursday 04 October 2007 16:13:40 Stephen Gran wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 04, 2007 at 02:53:31PM -0400, Edward Smola said:
> > On Oct 4, 2007, at 2:14 PM, Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> > >%!PS; I find it somewhat pathetic that in the US, 30 MPG is
> > >considered "excellent" mileage. ÂI was driving around the UK almost Â
> > >a year
> > >ago in a Ford diesel minivan (not a small car!) that got in excess Â
> > >of 40 MPG.
> > >There is absolutely no reason why we shouldn't be able to do this Â
> > >in the US.
> >
> > US car milage does suck but you need to compare the same unit.
> > 1 US gallon is only 0.83 british imperial gallon.
> >
> > 30 mpg us / .83 ~= 36 mpg british.
>
> Except that they sell 'petrol' in 'litres' over here, so you're doing
> the conversion yourself, and you get to pick which gallon to convert to.
> That being said, I do agree that I have gotten quite a lot better
> mileage in all the rental cars here than I was used to in the States -
> 40mpg is not unusual.

I wonder how much of that has to do with emissions controls required in the
US.  I find current environmental science so flawed in that a
supposed "green" solution causes unintended problems more severe than the
original problem.  So, we mandate emissions controls that result in greater
fuel consumption.  Net benefit?