JP Vossen on 4 Oct 2007 21:06:07 -0000

Re: [PLUG] off topic discussion

> Date: Thu, 04 Oct 2007 15:14:06 -0400
> From: "Colin A. Bartlett" <plug@colinabartlett.com>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] off topic discussion
> To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List"
>
> Eric wrote:
> >
> > Stick around!  Mostly it's Linux/Open Source related with a
> > smattering of network and hardware stuff.  It just seems that this
> > "stick shift" issue hit a "Geek" nerve in the last 24 hours or so.

As the OP I'll apologize for some of the tangents, though personally I'm fascinated. But I will argue that the OP *is* on topic.

See the OP or:
Why Software Sucks: Geeks Drive Stick Shift Cars
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JAOTTLQ0rlY

Interesting, funny and dead-on vid clip on a topic that's both relevant to the list and *about* at least some of the people on the list.

Computer geeks (or Engineers or other technical folk) tend to be "creative" in different ways than non technical folks, which is perhaps obvious or inherent. Often enough for me to notice, some of that creativity results in an interest in cars, driving, and well, stick shifts. Though by no means universal, many of what I consider the "best" technical people I know drive sticks and hate autos. So I was curious how this list would react. Except for sheer volume and the tangents, it's pretty much was I expected. Lots of people seem to have come out of the woodwork, and that's a Good Thing, I think. (Oh yeah, wood/metal work is another outlet for geek creativity. And creative code (i.e. cool hacks) go without saying...)

A lot of Linux and F/OSS is also about flexibility and control. I'm using Linux and MythTV because **I** want to control my PC and my content, I do not want to allow M$ to control my PC, or the MPAA to control my content. (Yeah, I have an iPod, but I don't buy from iTunes, I rip my CDs. And the Amazon MP3 section is shaping up well.) So basically, I drive a stick and use Linux for similar reasons and discussing one can shed light on the other. Seems on topic to me. :-)

OT tangent: as I just said, for me the stick is about flexibility and control. I learned to drive on a hill, on a gravel driveway, with a stick. That was--interesting. I can drive just about anything, anywhere (not limited to autos in places where they are rare (non-US)). With a stick, I can pop the clutch to start the car if I can get enough momentum, the engine is not wasting gas fighting the brakes when slowing down or at a light, and I am forced to pay more attention to my driving (something I fervently wish everyone would do). Plus, my 6 speed TL is just fun. Oh, and I can kill the cruise control with the clutch, thus not flashing the brake lights and tipping off the cop at the speed trap...

Having said that, automatic transmissions have come a long way. Someone above talked about the tranny being tied into engine control, and the ability to shut down half the engine when possible (cruising, braking, sitting). Our new car (auto)-: does that and it is *utterly* seamless and slick. I agree I can't see how that could work with a stick. And when they finally take the driver out of the loop, they'll have be something like the tiptronic (or maybe just CVT) to allow either/or shifting.

Later,
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.