Art Alexion on 5 Oct 2007 15:34:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] off topic discussion

On Thursday 04 October 2007 17:05:57 JP Vossen wrote:
> and I am forced to pay more attention to my
> driving (something I fervently wish everyone would do).

This is seriously the best point I've seen made.  Modern autos are so auto
that it's easy to keep your mind on everything but your drive.  Easy =/=
safe, however.

Did anyone catch Letterman last week when no one could parallel park? Alec
Baldwin claimed he hadn't parallel parked since 1987.  While some would claim
that freedom from learning how to parallel park results in the ability to
concentrate one's efforts on "more important things", I am in the camp that
believes that it just makes us less capable and resourceful.  (And I think
that debate is on topic.)

In the 1960s, if you took the driving test in a stick, the Trooper giving the
test would make you stop on a hill to see if you would stall out trying to
move again.  With the new self parking cars, are they going to drop parallel
parking from the test as well?