Brian Vagnoni on 5 Oct 2007 15:33:06 -0000

Re: [PLUG] spam traps and solutions

7 is too high. I use 5 on Kerio Mail Server which has SA built into it. Sometimes you need to setup customer rules. You also need layers to have any real effect on SPAM. You must also keep up to date with the latest SA updates.

Brian Vagnoni

Kerio Runs on pretty much any OS, Windows, MAC OSX, Linux, and I think even BSD now.

From: Sean C. Sheridan [mailto:scs@CampusClients.com]
To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
Sent: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 10:59:12 -0400
Subject: [PLUG] spam traps and solutions

For the last 12 years I've been using email. At one point it was actually
useful, but it's really becoming a burden.

Up until last week I was doing a fairly good job of trapping spam, most of
them end up in my Spamassassin (SA) trap. This week is a different story.
I'm now getting 300-400 spam per day that do not get trapped.

These new emails are short and, of course, use forged headers. Many of
them score 6-6.5 on the SA filter, my cutoff is set at 7.0.

I like the direction Meng's "Sender Policy Framework" was headed, but has
it been adopted universally?

I do not like the "use gmail to filter it" approach for a variety of
reasons the most important being I don't have any interest in sharing my
private email with a public company who will store it and search it at
their discretion.

"IMPORTANT NOTE: Spam Assassin is not 100% reliable.
It usually does a pretty good job, but it is HIGHLY RECOMMENDED that you
DO NOT just discard mail that Spam Assassin has flagged as spam. Rather,
save such messages to a separate file or folder where they can be reviewed
once a week or so to check for messages that aren't really spam."

I just do not have time to look through my 27,000 currently trapped emails
to see if I am missing an important new client request.

I could just refuse all the things SA thinks are spam, but then people
argue that is a bad solution that leads to endless loops and bandwidth
consumption.

note:
It is uncommon that I'll get legitimate email from overseas, but uncommon
is not equal to never. Some of our biggest accounts came from Europe and
Africa via email inquiries.

Before I go back to the dark ages and turn off email completely... which
I'm strongly considering, is there any light at the end of the tunnel?

I suspect I'm not alone. In fact I've argued for years that email is one
of the biggest burdens on American business creating untold hours of
inefficiency.

Does anyone have a good solution that I can implement on my fedora box
that will trap the crap and never create a false positive?

I've received 15 spam in the time it took to write this email, please save
me...

Sean C. Sheridan
scs@CampusClients.com

Campus Party, Inc.