TuskenTower on 5 Oct 2007 18:33:03 -0000

[PLUG] HDHomeRun and Comcast Pre-liminary Report

  • From: TuskenTower <tuskentower@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: [PLUG] HDHomeRun and Comcast Pre-liminary Report
  • Date: Fri, 5 Oct 2007 14:32:59 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition; bh=Bx4J+EZ4ntZ36hJdR8MSeVgFzps9SCXrZJk9nqeQxQU=; b=ohe6DnBX7zPrEBA8fpx8kHRjcpfiQKOnnA4ShgG/CL7s9keDA2N6UuMQqNnSY20F0pz3MWqhLTSmRbjTmdoqUTI+JC2I8ZNxskK9uMtDAacVX9/CBXTkoq2IosYPEU8Jc36AQbREIq79OFFPTwXStRp4tfOn0aeTKUhwrahLS00=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

All,
I attended the MythTV presentation by on Sept 22 hosted at the ATS
Group.  Andrew, another attendee who had an HDHomeRun offered to let
me borrow his to try it out with Comcast.

It was pretty funny having to wait till I could configure it since my
MythTV system was always recording when I had time to mess with it.  I
finally configured it with one RF input for OTA and the other for
comcast cable.

I ran a scan of channels and a large number came in.  Someone had told
me before that QAM256 does not pick up the analog channels.  I did not
pick up the analog channels (at least not at their normal numbers).

The free to air HD channels came in just fine.  I used the standard
cable scan which did everything from 0 to max.  These channels come in
at the same numbering that my HDTV "sees".  I can record from those
channels and view everything just fine.  Watching live TV over the
HDHomeRun occasionally stuttered, but that might be my hardware.

Other channels are there, but they do not correspond to anything that
comes through with Schedules Direct's listings (the HD channels didn't
get their listing from SD either).  I did a quick run through of what
channels came up with both MythTV and my HDTV.  For the most part the
scanned channels exist.  Some channels were either scrambled,
non-existent or snow (in two cases).  The HDTV actually picked up a
few more channels than the HDHomeRun.

I'll try to do some more testing this weekend to see what I find.  I
did do a list of all the channels that I found.  I did find many
analog signals coming in over QAM256, some free to air and others
which look like very basic cable channels.

Amul