Eugene Smiley on 5 Oct 2007 18:40:24 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Survey: who drives a stick shift?

Edward Smola wrote:
Ethanol fuel makes sense for brazil, which uses sugar cane and gets a very high return for the energy invested but most of the crops that are used in the us do not have that advantage. There would be no ethanol fuel industry in the us if it wasn't for the big government funding using our tax dollars. So now besides wasting our money on a fuel that is almost a wash energy wise, we now have to contend with grain and food prices increasing due to competition with the ethanol producers.

One word: Switchgrass. Output energy to Production energy ratio is 9:1. In other words you get 9 times more energy out of it than you put into producing it.