Malcolm on 5 Oct 2007 16:59:35 -0000

Re: [PLUG] spam traps and solutions

On Friday 05 October 2007 10:59:12 am Sean C. Sheridan wrote:

> Does anyone have a good solution that I can implement on my fedora box
> that will trap the crap and never create a false positive?
>
> I've received 15 spam in the time it took to write this email, please save
> me...

This is my stack, which has been working fairly well under the load:

- turn off any catch all address (I'm running around 14,000 dictionary attack
spam a day).

- greylist (this is becoming gradually less effective, but it takes out
another chunk of the spam before it even sends it's payload).

- spamassassin

- rules_du_jour rules for spamassassin

- server side bayesean filter training

- extensive use of address extensions: any time I give out an email address or
otherwise put it in a public forum (like this list), it has an extension on
it. When I start getting spam (that gets through the filters) to any address
I block that extension at the server level so future mail never gets past
HELO. This also trains the spam filters for the positive case as extensions
that don't get spam get auto-whitelisted. The REJECT rules for blocked
filters give a non-blocked extension so real users can bypass it easily
enough.