gabriel rosenkoetter on 5 Oct 2007 23:26:33 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Microsoft Sharepoint

At 2007-10-03 23:21 -0400, Mag Gam <magawake@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is anyone using this product? Is there a Linux adapter?
> We have started to use it, and I would like to automate several jobs
> (reports), and it would be nice to use Perl or such to do so.

Wouldn't Active Perl on Win2k3 really be the better way to do this?

Sharepoint's rather heavily dependent upon OS features Windows
provides in a specific way and that nothing else does in that way...
like, so far as I know, the only viable backing store for Sharepoint
2003 (and above? is 2007 out yet?) is MS SQL Server.

I don't much care for any of the apps in this space, but with the
assumption that all the Office documents you're editing are MS
formats, there isn't a better VC system out there than the one MS
provides (since they don't exactly plublicize their file formats,
but do know them plenty well internally). Stuff like Subversion does
version control way better, but all MS docs are binary blobs, rather
than something they know how to diff.

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net