Matt Mossholder on 7 Oct 2007 20:40:09 -0000

Re: No change (WAS Re: [PLUG] HDHomeRun and Comcast Pre-liminary Report)

On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 16:25 -0400, TuskenTower wrote:
> I assume that anyone can get a cable box to play nice with MythTV if
> you have an IR blaster.  I don't have either so I'm not going to try.

The better approach is to get Comcast to give you a STB with either
serial or Firewire on it. IR Blasters work, but aren't as reliable, and
are S.  L.  O.  W.

Comcast will do replacements for serial with the non-HD boxes, and all
the HD boxes have Firewire from the get-go.

You can even record over firewire, if you want, but there are some
drawbacks. No premium channels, at minimum, and it may even be that you
can only get the analog channels and the digital ones that are
free-to-air (the ones you found in your channel scan). I can't remember,
I dropped using firewire for recording too quickly :)

It would be really nice if they had a way to link inputs together for
scheduling purposes... i.e. firewire is the same as /dev/videoX, and
preferred.... but it only gets this line-up. If you can't get it over
firewire, get it over the tuner. And don't try to use both at once!

		--Matt