zuzu on 7 Oct 2007 22:36:04 -0000

Re: No change (WAS Re: [PLUG] HDHomeRun and Comcast Pre-liminary Report)

  • From: zuzu <sean.zuzu@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: No change (WAS Re: [PLUG] HDHomeRun and Comcast Pre-liminary Report)
  • Date: Sun, 7 Oct 2007 18:35:58 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:references; bh=PGYwpxtJz+aPrnCBU7/uJrKk31ABUFVYLZWO+Uew9F4=; b=TytTk8GvcLxM0iz9tg9ZtduVdQZVWLT6k/p12Avv2hecbnUDWYhI3R7Vu811cY7UNvQTC5TZ5fpQjk5pf/mw7kVXzMXzdSg1ag/zOWrelzcqBety8mv1F9IWvkAMmopCSOEH+kAFAnK6DNwtqHjF6ZePseYWr8EnNXM2wrYRfgY=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

On 10/7/07, Matt Mossholder <matt@mossholder.com> wrote:

> Comcast will do replacements for serial with the non-HD boxes, and all
> the HD boxes have Firewire from the get-go.
>
> You can even record over firewire, if you want, but there are some
> drawbacks. No premium channels, at minimum, and it may even be that you
> can only get the analog channels and the digital ones that are
> free-to-air (the ones you found in your channel scan). I can't remember,
> I dropped using firewire for recording too quickly :)

have you confirmed this personally?  what are the constraints?
whether your DVHS emulator "correctly" supports 5C flags?

also, if anyone on the list with FiOS can share whether or not the
Firewire on their HD boxes will talk DVHS to copy off DVR recording,
please do so.  my understanding was that the FCC requirement for
Firewire output expired last year or so.  thus, I was told (but I'd
rather have empirical evidence) that the Verizon HD boxes have
Firewire disabled in firmware.  (although the physical port is still
there.  I think there's a USB port or two also.)

I'm not willing to pay for the DRM'd channels and rent an HD box from
Verizon to find out, personally.

> It would be really nice if they had a way to link inputs together for
> scheduling purposes... i.e. firewire is the same as /dev/videoX, and
> preferred.... but it only gets this line-up. If you can't get it over
> firewire, get it over the tuner. And don't try to use both at once!

what is the Linux equivalent "best practices" for emulating a DVHS
over Firewire?  is there an equivalent to Apple's open-source DVHS
application included with their Firewire SDK?

also, hail mary question:  does anyone have any leads on what
recording digital television requires in Japan with their ISDB-T
format?  I hear they have DRM even on their free TV, but there are
enough "we get raw" providers of HDTV signals in the fansub
communities that somehow they must be capturing digital feeds without
the "analog hole".  (I'd like to placeshift, ala the Slingbox, sumo
wrestling from Tokyo.)