Matt Mossholder on 7 Oct 2007 23:06:48 -0000

Re: No change (WAS Re: [PLUG] HDHomeRun and Comcast Pre-liminary Report)

On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 18:35 -0400, zuzu wrote:
> have you confirmed this personally?  what are the constraints?
> whether your DVHS emulator "correctly" supports 5C flags?

Yes, I have. The constraints are, as you noted, 5C. If you can emulate
DVHS, then you are golden. I don't know that this is the appropriate
place to be asking that sort of question, however.  In the immortal
words of Sergeant Schultz: 'I know nothing!'.

> also, if anyone on the list with FiOS can share whether or not the
> Firewire on their HD boxes will talk DVHS to copy off DVR recording,
> please do so.  my understanding was that the FCC requirement for
> Firewire output expired last year or so.

I am fairly certain this isn't true. When I read up on the firewire
mandate, in preparation for any flack Comcast might have chosen to give
me, there were no obvious date constraints. I HAVE heard people state
that their cable provider claimed this, though, and I am pretty sure
they were proved wrong. There are enough people out there using firewire
that I am pretty sure I would have heard the uproar as the cable co's
turned it off :)

> thus, I was told (but I'd
> rather have empirical evidence) that the Verizon HD boxes have
> Firewire disabled in firmware.  (although the physical port is still
> there.  I think there's a USB port or two also.)

Those are for the DVR solutions... in certain circumstances, you can
hook a USB drive up for more storage. The data is encrypted, however.
Many have Ethernet as well, but I have never heard of one that had it
activated.

> I'm not willing to pay for the DRM'd channels and rent an HD box from
> Verizon to find out, personally.

Only an issue if you have to have all digital, or want HD. Just control
the STB from the computer, and it is all good.

> what is the Linux equivalent "best practices" for emulating a DVHS
> over Firewire?  is there an equivalent to Apple's open-source DVHS
> application included with their Firewire SDK?

If you don't need 5c, MythTV can do it natively.

> also, hail mary question:  does anyone have any leads on what
> recording digital television requires in Japan with their ISDB-T
> format?  I hear they have DRM even on their free TV, but there are
> enough "we get raw" providers of HDTV signals in the fansub
> communities that somehow they must be capturing digital feeds without
> the "analog hole".  (I'd like to placeshift, ala the Slingbox, sumo
> wrestling from Tokyo.)

No idea.