JP Vossen on 8 Oct 2007 18:57:05 -0000

[PLUG] Sharing wireless

As mentioned in a recent thread on this topic, Speakeasy has allowed and encouraged general link sharing for a while. Now BT is getting into the act. Being an InfoSec Geek my knee-jerk reaction to wireless in general is to run screaming, but I can understand the points made here and in the previous thread.

(Disclaimer, I work for BT.)

http://hardware.slashdot.org/hardware/07/10/07/2042251.shtml
Hardware: Corporate Encouragement For Sharing Your WiFi
Posted by Zonk on Sunday October 07, @06:15PM
from the everybody-in-the-phone-booth dept.
anagama writes "Conventional wisdom is that one should lockdown wifi, your ISP doesn't want you to share your connection, that person checking email outside the coffee shop ought to be arrested. The UK ISP BT is offering an alternative model. The company will encourage its three million broadband users to pick up a FON router and start sharing signals. 'For BT, the move makes its broadband offering more useful to customers, who can access the Internet from more places, and BT doesn't need to build out a new wireless network itself. BT's Gavin Patterson, a managing director, holds out hopes that the FON scheme can someday "cover every street in Britain." "We are giving our millions of Total Broadband customers a choice and an opportunity," he added in a statement. "If they are prepared to securely share a little of their broadband, they can share the broadband at hundreds of thousands of FON and BT Openzone hotspots today, without paying a penny." '"
http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20071005-bt-to-uk-customers-share-your-wifi-please.html

--
Later,
JP