jeff on 8 Oct 2007 19:01:57 -0000

[PLUG] obvious question? Ubuntu/VMware

I upgraded to Gutsy recently and found it pretty decent.  Aside from
small oddities, it works perfectly.

The major agita seems to be VMplayer.  It flatly refuses to work.  Since
the Ubuntu versions wouldn't install, I used .tar.gz's.  It had to build
, based upon kernel, a module every time.

My guess is that because it built, it will fail to work each time
there's a kernel upgrade.  Considering I now have about 8 choices in my
GRUB menu, it probably won't end soon.  It has failed the last 2 upgrades.

If I am correct, does this mean I have to reinstall/rebuild VMplayer
each time there's an upgrade?  Stay where I am?  My brain hurts.

While on the topic, where does one find hardware requirements for
VMware?  I know they can't state that one config will work for all, but
some vague guidelines would be nice.

AMD would have you believe you need a server with their new dual quads
to load the ESX software.  I just read about running 8 different Citrix
servers under ESX (can't recall the server specs).

For sake of argument, let's put ESX on a server (the new one can use
SATA drives - due in December), which is going to run an instance of
W2003 server, 1 or 2 light duty linux servers, an XP install, and a few
tiny utils.  None of these will be heavy duty, but what kind of hardware
is recommended to do this decently, with room for expansion?

Thanks.

Remember when dual quads referred to carburetors?