Brian Stempin on 10 Oct 2007 18:51:49 -0000

Re: Apple Remote Desktop (was Re: [PLUG] OT: Mac OS X question)

  • From: "Brian Stempin" <brian.stempin@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: Apple Remote Desktop (was Re: [PLUG] OT: Mac OS X question)
  • Date: Wed, 10 Oct 2007 14:51:43 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=ApifiKMKDDvZtcDHRWQQj+UwH3NRFSnzmmnOObLIBLw=; b=R6I6oS1fAnocV29w4X1HTMIch7+rRHWninF3bd3Ihr/ynYL0tR2SS1cztmaEwiSLo9SKYGAFYzhhPNrRtVOuwMd+FKTUVixzfq4mbJYff8hXa+DMYv61FHTuxrMhXn75OAMm4/RgY3bgBucHDDG8mmae3xp+CD1kyI0ejkPFXrI=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

>From what I've gathered from the last job that I was actively administering OSX, Apple Remote Desktop nothing more than a glorified extension of VNC.  IIRC, it even operates on the same port as VNC.  If you try connecting to it using a plain-old VNC client, you should get a prompt for a password, but then an error message after that.

Take this with a huge grain of salt though, (a) it's been a while since I've done OSX administration, and (b) as you see, I have no sources for my VNC claim.

On 10/10/07, gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net> wrote:
At 2007-10-10 09:47 -0400, Brent Saner <brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:
> well, i did..i knew this existed, i was wondering if there was a DIY hack
> for it.
>
> i figured it's probably just a service, right? so what's to stop someone
> from forwarding it to another machine much as one can forward an X session
> to a server on a different machine...

As I understand it, that's not correct, although I am no expert on
the topic. My understanding is that the Mac OS X GUI does not
have the same client/server architecture built into it that X11 does
(in fact, the X Window System is fairly unique in that
architecture), so it does require a totally separate piece of
software in order to provide the service.

(Note, incidentally, that Microsoft Windows also requires a separate
piece of software to do this, it just so happens that their kind
enough to throw in a couple user licenses of Terminal Services for
free these days.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net