gabriel rosenkoetter on 10 Oct 2007 18:43:07 -0000

Re: Apple Remote Desktop (was Re: [PLUG] OT: Mac OS X question)

At 2007-10-10 09:47 -0400, Brent Saner <brent.saner@gmail.com> wrote:
> well, i did..i knew this existed, i was wondering if there was a DIY hack
> for it.
>
> i figured it's probably just a service, right? so what's to stop someone
> from forwarding it to another machine much as one can forward an X session
> to a server on a different machine...

As I understand it, that's not correct, although I am no expert on
the topic. My understanding is that the Mac OS X GUI does not
have the same client/server architecture built into it that X11 does
(in fact, the X Window System is fairly unique in that
architecture), so it does require a totally separate piece of
software in order to provide the service.

(Note, incidentally, that Microsoft Windows also requires a separate
piece of software to do this, it just so happens that their kind
enough to throw in a couple user licenses of Terminal Services for
free these days.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net