Brent Saner on 11 Oct 2007 18:39:32 -0000

Re: [PLUG] More info - Gutsy update broke cifs

  • From: "Brent Saner" <brent.saner@gmail.com>
  • To: "Philadelphia Linux User's Group Discussion List" <plug@lists.phillylinux.org>
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] More info - Gutsy update broke cifs
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 14:39:27 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references; bh=PN4xuUUI9K8skElac1vFIRiaTYil/tN/nCaQhID9QB0=; b=LpJ2NURy9tJCgBhlHbaYdblVwO5D7p7/phit54K2tZHwqahg/OOXjEXdT6sr8Yb0MngXQITau+JepZIcqIjdO+m7eaLEAohoajXtWR3rRSlsM6sjzRRyreNbzus3RjokcYerevAUU+6I8FokEUdAM8OS0BTF8cfIC89JkXxglJg=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

here's what i think is going on with X (anyone who disagrees, feel free to correct)

-you are using AD to login
-AD is, atm, broken
-since you used AD to login and AD is busted, you only have a rudimentary, if one at all, home directory (as we've seen)
- ~/ keeps configs, scripts, etc. for KDE
-so! X tries to log you into KDE, but KDE looks for your ~ and doesn't find it. panics, says "well, i KNOW it's there, where is itt???" freaks out, gives up.
-when you start x, it'll keep trying to restart kde (assuming kde is set to come up automatically on boot)
-kde will keep failing because of the above

so, you have some options. you can log on locally, you can use gnome/fluxbox/etc. in the meantime to fix (if it'll even let you get into those), you can forward to another X server (but i'm not sure if that'd help or not) OR, and this may be your best best,

try some of these:
http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_fit_Linux_into_Active_Directory
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-do-i-join-a-windows-2003-active-directory-domain-from-linux-system.html
http://www.cyberciti.biz/tips/how-to-configure-ubuntu-linux-for-windows-active-directory-authentication.html
http://swik.net/domain+linux (bunch of further reading if necessary)

i gotta warn you, most of those are prolly CLI (but that's what we want) so don't be scared.

(lastly, for a dirty dirty hack, you could boot knoppix, chroot and mount your installation, and then run sadms. the trick is to make sure you have SOME sort of home directory available)

i want to get this fixed as badly as you do. ;)

On 10/11/07, Art Alexion <art.alexion@verizon.net > wrote:
On Thursday 11 October 2007 13:57, Brent Saner wrote:
> i wonder what version of samba Gutsy uses. samba4 supposedly has AD
> integrated in... but i think it's still in beta (and to be honest, i'm too
> lazy to check)

3.0.26a

> any other problems network-wise? can you ping all of the other boxes on the
> network?

yes

> here's the rundown as i understand it:
> all SADMS does is provide a gui to the config changes you'd have to make to
> kerberos, samba, etc. etc. (i think)
> now. my guess is one of these components (samba, kerb., etc.) was updated
> and the config file updated with it.

Makes sense, except I am having trouble getting into x to run it again.  I'll
try failsafe.

> so by running SADMS again, you should be able to reconfig the new config
> files and therefore join the AD again

Brent Saner
215.264.0112 (cell)
215.362.7696(residence)