K.S. Bhaskar on 11 Oct 2007 20:00:21 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Linux encrypted partitions, How To

  • From: "K.S. Bhaskar" <bhaskar@bhaskars.com>
  • To: plug@lists.phillylinux.org
  • Subject: Re: [PLUG] Linux encrypted partitions, How To
  • Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 16:00:13 -0400
  • Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=beta; h=domainkey-signature:received:received:message-id:date:from:sender:to:subject:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:references:x-google-sender-auth; bh=ufMxEWOyUqt+BfO2rfVmzBUhx5FCAudUdXErRmL3GzI=; b=iTVMyhHAHRdHp9DfckZdx+ntPMSvYK9+rtMxCpd5yo0yfNPi0SrMGSFAJQMdIEa1tZWi2em4Lah9uoEll8TCaQGZXsQSLScv+p5eBLC7nzYP3IBw07tRQn4gb3CDkytc2ogfQ4mRKwZnaLbS74aq/aWpQUCnMVw/uulZk1/C3mA=
  • Sender: plug-bounces@lists.phillylinux.org

I have updated the document (http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats/web/071010-2EncryptingPartitions.odt) to add an additional caveat that Matt Rosewarne mentioned to me and also uploaded an HTML version ( http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats/web/071010-2EncryptingPartitions.html) for Gabe.

One reasons the installers don't work for me is that in my paranoia, I always set up computers with two complete, viable, Linux installs.  For example, my laptop has Kubuntu Feisty and Debian Unstable; my wife's PC has Kubuntu Gutsy and Kubuntu Feisty.  They share /home, and the same swap partition (since only one install is active at any given time).  That way, if something bad happens to one, like a botched version upgrade, or if I want to evaluate a new distribution, I have a safety net.  Matt made some suggestions that I will try, and then maybe create a new document.  [Note that a shared /boot does not work, since two distributions may have the same kernel, but compiled so that neither can use the other's.  Been there and been burned.]

Regards
-- Bhaskar

On 10/10/07, gabriel rosenkoetter <gr@eclipsed.net> wrote:
At 2007-10-10 16:19 -0400, K.S. Bhaskar <bhaskar@bhaskars.com> wrote:
> http://groups.google.com/group/Hardhats/web/071010-2EncryptingPartitions.odt
>
> All comments and corrections gratefully accepted.  Please turn on change
> tracking if you would like to edit the document and e-mail me an improved
> version.  Thank you very much.

Would you object to posting a more... um, accessible format? (Like,
say, text or html?) I don't want to get into political discussions,
about the meaning of "open", but I don't have anything that opens
that.

(Alternately, I just won't bother reading it or commenting. That's
fine too.)

--
gabriel rosenkoetter
gr@eclipsed.net