Matthew Rosewarne on 19 Oct 2007 05:05:33 -0000

[PLUG] Xen and the art of server maintenance

I just recently got a fancy new server to set up for a family member's small
business.  I'm don't have much experience with the work of a sysadmin, so I
don't have a feel for what works well.  I was wondering if it would make
sense to use Xen to divide the server up into several virtual servers, since
it would handle all sorts of different tasks:
	* Mail
	* Website
	* File server
	* Directory/auth
	* Print (& Fax?)
	* perhaps Asterisk at some point?
	* others I didn't think of yet

What kind of advantages would I get from using Xen to make several servers
from the one?  Would it be worth the increased complexity, or am I better off
lumping these services into one OS instance?