Eric on 19 Oct 2007 10:58:18 -0000

Re: [PLUG] Xen and the art of server maintenance

Matthew Rosewarne wrote:
> I just recently got a fancy new server to set up for a family member's small
> business.  I'm don't have much experience with the work of a sysadmin, so I
> don't have a feel for what works well.  I was wondering if it would make
> sense to use Xen to divide the server up into several virtual servers, since
> it would handle all sorts of different tasks:
> 	* Mail
> 	* Website
> 	* File server
> 	* Directory/auth
> 	* Print (& Fax?)
> 	* perhaps Asterisk at some point?
> 	* others I didn't think of yet
>
> What kind of advantages would I get from using Xen to make several servers
> from the one?  Would it be worth the increased complexity, or am I better off
> lumping these services into one OS instance?

Matthew:

Based on the list of tasks/services that you list and your description of the
use as "small business" I'd recommend SME Server (except for Asterisk).  It's a
simple Linux distro that is designed to be set up and configured quickly and
easily and maintenance is simple.  It's based on CentOS - a free version of Red
Hat Enterprise Server and it uses a web interface for configuration.  Is this
server to also handle Internet access, firewall and DHCP server?  That's built
in and it's all easy to get running.
.
You can download it from contribs.org: http://wiki.contribs.org/Main_Page and
there is a ton of info on the site.

I've set up a dozen or more of these and they are, in my experience, rock solid
and a breeze to maintain.

Virtualization (Xen, VMWare, etc.) is, in my opinion, overkill for a small
business server unless you want to spend time setting it up just to learn about
the technology.  Even in that case when the business needs support they have to
call you.  With SME server they can just go to the web interface and handle 90+%
of it themselves.

Someone else suggested putting Asterisk on a separate box and I agree.

Eric
--
#  Eric Lucas
#