Mike Leone on 20 Oct 2007 14:25:39 -0000

Re: [PLUG] How best to replace old drive with new drive

jondz wrote:

>> I can't seem to chroot. I actually Ghosted the drive; made it the sole
>> HD in the system; booted with Knoppix; did a "mount /dev/hda1
>> /mnt/hda1"; then tried "chroot /mnt/hda1".
>>
>> It told me it couldn't find /bin/sh. And so I couldn't go forward from
>> there.
>>
>> So what am I missing, that I can't install grub?
>

> (I'm asuming you partitioned your original disk into many filesystems)

Yep

> maybe /dev/hda1 is not root? maybe it was originally /boot ?

DOH! (at work this qualifies me for the "Marty McFly Award" ...)

Yep; /dev/hda1 is /boot.

/dev/hda1  /boot
/dev/hda5  /
/dev/hda6  /home
/dev/hda7  /usr
/dev/hda8  /var
/dev/hda10 swap

(I re-installed the original disk back; since it's the mail server, I
get no mail until it's up and running :-))

> what does ls -l /mnt/hda1/ say?  ls -l /mnt/hda1/bin/sh ?
>
> if /mnt/hda1 shows a bunch of grub files try /mnt/hda2 next, then other
> partitions (a lot of installs used to allocate the first partition
> as /boot).
>
> doesnt hurt to mkdir /mnt/hdaX ; mount -o ro /dev/hdaX /mnt/hdaX to
> check.
>
> since the original disk is not there you can try out the partitions one
> at a time and "guess" the contents.   try to locate the root first.  get
> a list with fdisk -l /dev/hdX.  if you locate the root then you'll have
> a list of the original paritions in /mnt/hdaX/etc/fstab.   if youve
> splitted the original /boot you may have to do
> mount /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1/boot or something to make the new  / look like
> the original one (so when you chroot it will look similar to the old
> one).

I'll try it again later tonight; it's much too nice out to sit inside
and futz with computers. :-)

Thanks; I'm sure that's probably it.