JP Vossen on 20 Oct 2007 19:31:55 -0000

Re: [PLUG] How best to replace old drive with new drive

> Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 10:25:20 -0400
> From: Mike Leone <turgon@mike-leone.com>
> Subject: Re: [PLUG] How best to replace old drive with new drive
>
> jondz wrote:
>
>>> I can't seem to chroot. I actually Ghosted the drive; made it the sole
>>> HD in the system; booted with Knoppix; did a "mount /dev/hda1
>>> /mnt/hda1"; then tried "chroot /mnt/hda1".
>>>
>>> It told me it couldn't find /bin/sh. And so I couldn't go forward
>>> from there.
>>>
>>> So what am I missing, that I can't install grub?

Almost everything... The error message is quite clear, if perhaps a tad--concise. :-) It's telling you that once you've created the new "root" you don't have any shell (or other tools).

>> (I'm assuming you partitioned your original disk into many >> filesystems) > > Yep; /dev/hda1 is /boot. > > /dev/hda1 /boot > /dev/hda5 / > /dev/hda6 /home > /dev/hda7 /usr > /dev/hda8 /var > /dev/hda10 swap

There's your problem. Once you chroot into /mnt/hda1 **all** you have is what's in "/boot" which does not include trivial things like /bin/sh. I've bitten myself with that more than once. That's why I recommended you make and mount like:
cd /mnt
mkdir new
mount -t ext3 /dev/sda2 /mnt/new
mkdir new/boot
mkdir new/home
mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/new/boot
mount -t ext3 /dev/sda5 /mnt/new/home

My way is admittedly tedious, but once you "chroot /mnt/new" you have an entire standard file system, including /boot, /bin, etc. Depending on your copy you may be missing /dev and/or /proc, but for this purpose I don't *think* that matters. If you have problems, use the posted fix for that.

Make sense?
JP
Microsoft has single-handedly nullified Moore's Law.
Innate design flaws of Windows make a personal firewall, anti-virus
and anti-malware software mandatory. The resulting software arms race
has effectively flattened Moore's Law on hardware running Windows.